Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Week... 4 I think?

Some stuff I wanted to say last week and didn't have time:
I freaking love my companions. They are weird and hilarious and I love them to death. Also, our district sang Book of Mormon stories in English for our closing song one night. Yep, we are that cool. Also, I wanted to say ¨what the heck?¨ once, but it was our ¨todo en espaƱol¨ day (all in Spanish) so I tried to translate it into Spanish, but I don-t know if there-s a word for heck so I automatically just used the other word which in infierno (or something like that)... and then realized what I had just said and I felt so bad for the rest of the night. Never making that mistake again. also, last week was the first and only time I've cried at the CCM. It was after a lesson that I thought went awful because I felt like we weren't helping our investigator who wasn't keeping his commitments and I didn't know how to help him. And then when I did know what to say to him, I couldn't figure out how to say it in Spanish and make him understand that God does love him and he can be happy, but he has to want it, and he has to work for it or it-s not gonna happen. And I felt like the lesson was a complete failure, so after I went into the bathroom with my companions and I just broke down and cried because I didn't know how I was going to be able to help anyone if I couldn't help him. Anyway, I was talking to our teacher (who is pretending to be Jonathan) and he said what I said was exactly what Jonathan needed, so apparently even though my Spanish was horrible, he still understood. I guess that-s what happens when you try to say what the spirit wants you to say. Anyway, our lessons have (overall) been getting better with him and I think we-re starting to actually help him, which is good. He also said we need to be more patient with the investigators, so I guess we-re just expecting too much of a change too quickly. But that-s the point of being here is to learn.
Now to this week.
We saw a huge mosquito. And I mean huge. Like probably at least 8 inches long. It was during¨a lesson at TRC and our ¨investigator¨ (a different one) was jumping around trying to kill it with a pillow, which he eventually did. It was hilarious! Also, there was a huge moth in the comedor (lunchroom). It was under a table and at first people thought it was a bat and my compaƱera Hermana Thacker was so excited (because she used to work with bats and other birds back at home- something about endangered species, I-m not completely sure), until she saw it and realized it was a moth. Not a bat. But the point is, for people to think it was a bat, it was pretty freaking big.
On Sunday, the talks were about charity and one elder was giving his talk and said ¨we need to have the same love Christ has. Like the ¨legit love¨ of Christ.¨ I found it funny.
There is an Elder in our district, Elder Smith, who is the funniest person ever. He-s such a hipster, and he carries around a fannypack and this week he wrote a rap about his fanny pack. it-s called ¨fanny pack sway¨ they-ve got a beat and everything and their going to record it with someones camera today and i-m going to get it from him and send it to you next week because it is basically the best thing ever. We seriously have the funniest district here.
also, there is an elder in our district who is basically in love with this Hermana in another district in our branch. He is such a sweetie. And at first he didn't know her name, so he just called her ¨Angel face.¨
I am totally a volleyball player now. Like I-m good... Okay I suck, but i-m getting better! We play everyday during gym time and it-s so fun! We are pretty serious about our volleyball. We-re about to start breaking the rules by getting too competitive. But I couldn't hit it right at first so I had a huge bruise, probably about 1.5 inches by 3 or 4 inches, on my wrist for a week. It-s basically gone now, but I was very proud of my volleyball battle wound. My blisters from walking around airports and the MTC those first couple days are practically healed too! Well, I thought they were healing 2 weeks ago, but they-re still here and sometimes they still hurt. Hopefully they-ll be completely gone before I go to Paraguay.
Awesome story!! Our MTC president, Presidente Pratt, was companions with Elder Holland!! What?! Basically the highlight of Sunday afternoon.. except for, you know, Elder Holland-s devotional (not live, our devotionals are usually recordings from previous devotionals at Provo MTC).
Also on Sunday we watched Legacy for our movie, which Hermana Thacker is in love with. I found it pretty cheesy, but hey, after 4 weeks here it-s nice to have some cheese. And it was hilarious watching it with 800 elders.
Also, before anything in the auditorium (movie, devotionals, most of our stuff on Sunday after church), you have to be there like 20 minutes before or you-ll be sitting in the back corner on the hard chairs. So we always go super super early and just read our scriptures in there instead of in the classroom. On Sunday, Hermana Mills wanted to go up and sing with the guy who was playing the piano for prelude music (she sings super well) so we went up and the two of us were singing. And since everyone was basically already there, it was loud so no one could really hear us which was good. But the last 10 minutes everyone is supposed to be quiet and listen to the prelude music, and they decided to enforce that that day. And Hna. Mills wanted to keep singing, so we did but then people could hear us and I was completely terrified. But another elder came up and was singing with us as well, and President Pratt thanked us at the end right before they started the movie and said we had the voices of angels, so that was kinda cool. But my heart was going like 100 miles a minute. but Esta bien. it was kinda fun.

Hermana Urie

No comments:

Post a Comment